Saturday, January 11, 2014

It's a New Year, y'all!

Well, Hello everyone!

In fairness to me, I tried to get this post up a few days ago and had some technical difficulties, followed by some motivational difficulties...

But I am now officially back.  I would love to tell you I felt inspired to re-commit to the blog because I feel revived by the new year, and made it my resolution!  But, alas, the primary reason was that my Mom put it in the Christmas letter, so I felt pressure.  Well, that, and one of my best friends wondered if something had happened to us since I had dropped off so abruptly.  Not to fear folks - we are alive and well.  I just got lazy.

Honestly though, thank you for reading.  It does make us feel good to know that people are following our travels and we love keeping people in the loop!

Anyway, I am so behind that I need to just do a quick catch-up, and tell you all the places I missed posting about.

Since Timber Lake, we have been in Salem (pop: 1345), Rosholt (pop: 426), Forestburg (pop: 73, school is fed by surrounding towns), to Kansas City to visit my Grandparents, Home to Wausau for Thanksgiving, McLaughlin (pop: 667), Sioux Falls to work in the home office, Olympia to visit family and friends, and back to Wisconsin to celebrate the Holidays!!  Whirlwind 2 months - what more could we ask for?

I marked our last 4 residencies on a map in case you're curious about geography, BUT the blogsite will not allow me to upload pictures at this time.  I assure you I am working to remedy this, because otherwise, this will be a painfully boring blog.  It will have to wait until the next post though!

In the meantime, I will re-cap a few of our favorite moments since I last posted...
(Note:  If we saw you over our break, you probably already heard these stories.  So sorry.)


  • As I explained in a previous post, the kids love to try to figure out how Harrison and I are related.  In Salem, they were having a particularly difficult time believing that we were married.  In one full cast discussion about it, a 8-year-old boy raised his hand and said, "Umm...if he is married to someone else and you like him, then you are committing adultery.  That's the sixth commandment, you know."  I was shocked, as was the rest of the cast.  I assured him that was not what was going on, but I eventually had to bring wedding pics as proof.  
  • In our show, some of the youngest kids play "The Seasons".  They appear four times throughout the show, and sing/dance a verse to show passage of time throughout the story.  In Rosholt, after hearing her part, this teeny-tiny Kindergarten student raised her hand.  When I called on her, she said, "Am I Deer Season? Because I am a hunter."  I had to explain to her that we didn't actually have a verse about Deer Season in our song.  What were we thinking, right?  It was one of those "You know you're in South Dakota when..." moments. 
  • In McLaughlin, we were right on the time zone line.  So, we were staying in Central time zone, and working in Mountain time zone.  It always took us awhile to figure out when we needed to leave to be there on time.  To be at the school by 2:00, we had to leave by 2:30.  It was like riding a time machine to work.  That, coupled with a snow day and late start which re-arranged our entire rehearsal schedule, made for a very interesting week!  The kids did great though.  And we are getting good at rolling with the punches!
We were also so lucky to be able to spend so much time with our family and friends, both in Washington and Wisconsin, over Thanksgiving and Christmas!  We have so many people who love and support and we are constantly reminded of how blessed we are.  We miss you all so much, but you are what keeps us going!

Wishing everyone a year full of discovery, laughter, growth, and - above all - LOVE.
C&H 





No comments:

Post a Comment