Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sturgis

Hey y'all!

Here is the map from my last post, as promised.  Thank goodness I got that fixed!!


Our first week back, we were in Sturgis!  You may have heard of Sturgis as they are host to a giant annual Motorcycle Rally.  Every summer, hundreds of thousands of bikers report to the Beautiful Black Hills for this week-long rally!!  It is a pretty big deal.  I have never been there during the Rally.  We were actually supposed to go the year we were at the Black Hills Playhouse, but Harrison got sick, so we cancelled our plans.  But even in Custer State Park it gets CRAZY with bikers, so I cannot even imagine what it's like in Sturgis.  

Here is Sturgis on the map:
                          

This was such a great group of kids with which to rejoin our touring adventure.  With a population of 6,644, Sturgis is a booming metropolis, and an arts-rich community, complete with an Arts Council and a beautiful theater space.  

The kids were wonderful - very enthusiastic and the loudest group (on-stage!) that we have had yet.  There were also kids from a couple different schools involved in our show, so it was really nice to see new friendships forming throughout the week!  As always though, we had a few characters.

We had one particularly amusing 1st grade kiddo.  I really want to tell you his name, but in an effort to protect his anonymity, I will just say he shares a name with a hilarious late night talk-show host, which makes everything he says a just a little bit funnier.  This was our conversation on the very first day...
Student:  "What if we can't come to the show?" 
Me:  "Well, we really need you to be at the show on Friday.  That's why we cast you!"
Student:  "But what if you can't because of something really important?"
Me:  "Like...what?"
Student:  "Like what if there is a really big bug in your stomach, like MONSTERS inside you!!"
Me:  "Well, that sounds like an emergency."
Ironically, his sister was sick for our first performance.  I forgot to ask if it was due to monsters inside of her...

He also kindly volunteered throughout the week to "show everyone something we shouldn't do on stage".  Haha - I indulged that at least once a day.  AND he told Harrison every single day that he should marry me.  "Harrison - she's a cool girl.  And nice.  You should marry her. Actually, you have to marry her!!"  Smart kid.  :)

We stayed with a wonderful couple.  On the night we got there, they told us they had recorded the new Downton Abbey and asked if we wanted to watch it with them.  It was all I could do to not break into "I think I'm Gonna Like it Here" from Annie.  Overall, a really fun week!

In closing...
Since I got the fixed the blog's photo feature, and I took no pictures in Sturgis, I will share a few highlights from our break.

We took Claire to ZooLights at Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma.  She entire zoo is covered in lights - literally one of the coolest things I have ever seen.  I was walking around, squealing with glee, (way more than all the children there!)  Also, we rode a camel.  A camel!!

And we got to be there for Carson's birthday. I can't believe this little man is 9 years old already! I am so glad we got to celebrate with him.  Good planning.



And, of course, Claire gave me an epic makeover.  And as soon as she was done, she looked at me and said, "Ummm...you don't look very good."  Haha.  I love this girl.



Love to all,
Carolyn and Harrison





No comments:

Post a Comment